I had my doubts about the Instagram Threads app. I expected it to be just another Twitter or another fleeting app that would fade away in no time. But my perspective has completely shifted.
In this blog post, I’m thrilled to share my review and first-hand insights on the Threads by Instagram app – from getting started and discovering hidden gem features to growth tips for Threads (on-platform and off!).
Join me as I compare Threads to Twitter and Instagram and share my analysis on how Threads curates feeds using real account examples. I’ll also cover important features and details such as character limits, how to create Threads, and what developers have in store for future app updates.
And here’s the best part: Threads offers a seamless way to share clickable links with your Instagram audience without the hassle of “link in bio”!” You can also get the rundown in my Instagram Threads review video
Table of Contents
How to Download the Threads App
To start your Threads journey, follow these simple steps to download the app:
- Open your app store, whether it’s the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
- Search for “Threads by Instagram,” which is the official app.
- Find the Threads app with the official logo and tap the download button.
- Wait for the app to install, and you’re good to go.
Download Instagram Threads App for Android
Download Instagram Threads from the App Store (Apple)
Remember, ensure you download the correct Threads app by Instagram. This is the correct app & logo.
Can’t find Threads by Instagram App (Europe Release)
Threads App Review: What is the “Vibe” and Who is it For?
Threads vs. Instagram: Conversations at the Core
While Instagram focuses on visual content, Threads takes a different approach by putting conversations front and center. In Threads, it’s all about having meaningful written discussions rather than putting conversation second to photos and videos. Think of it as a digital space where you can engage in conversations with friends, colleagues, and others with shared interests.
Bonus: Threads can help you add clickable links to your Instagram posts! Watch this video segment to see how to share Threads posts to Instagram with clickable links!
Threads vs. Twitter: Feature Comparison
Threads posts have a character limit of 500 characters, which is almost double the Twitter character limit of 280 characters (unless you subscribe to Twitter Blue!). This makes conversations easier.
Additionally, if you’ve ever created a thread on Twitter, you might have had to play copy-and-paste to write your thread properly. This is inconvenient and one misclick could cause you to accidentally lose your draft. On Threads, you can use enter and backspace to push and pull text between one post in a thread to another. This is a simple but powerful UX feature!
Twitter still wins the race in terms of search functionality and explore pages. Instagram Threads search is currently limited to user-name searches; hashtags are not clickable (though I’d suggest including them in your posts anyway, as the developers are expected to add this feature soon), and there is no explore page. Twitter is still the best place to go if you want to check out and reach people by talking about what’s happening now.
What is the Character Limit for Threads posts?
Threads offers a generous character limit of 500 characters per post, providing ample room to let your thoughts flow. Say goodbye to worrying about hitting a character wall and embrace the opportunity to express yourself freely. Share your stories, insights, and experiences in a way that truly reflects your thoughts.
How Threads Curates Feeds: Affinity and Signals in the Algorithm
Curious about how Threads curates your feed? It’s all about affinity and signals. The algorithm behind Threads considers your connections with other users to create a personalized feed. You’ll see a mix of posts from people you follow and others you may not, resulting in a diverse range of content. Positive signals like likes, rethreads, and follows contribute to a positive affinity, while negative signals like mutes or blocks indicate a negative affinity. This ensures your feed aligns with your interests and preferences.
Keep in mind that if you bridge your existing audience on Instagram to your new account on Threads, your Threads feed will feature similar accounts & topics to your Instagram feed.
I tested this with several accounts and saw very quickly that the Threads account created with my business-oriented Instagram account had a business-oriented audience; my personal account (which I use to check out sports, music, memes, and food pics) led me to a Threads feed that was full of sports news, posts from celebrity music artists, and picture-heavy content. The feeds were starkly different even before I made a single like or post of my own on the accounts!
Threads Growth Tips and Tricks
Ready to make the most of Threads while its new? Check out these practical tips to use current and upcoming features of the app to their maximum potential:
- Embrace hashtags: Even though Threads doesn’t have a dedicated hashtag feature, you can still use hashtags in your posts to increase visibility and connect with relevant communities.
- Share Threads posts directly: Instead of taking screenshots, utilize the built-in sharing feature to share your posts seamlessly with others.
- Engage with similar interests to teach the algorithm: Explore threads and accounts that align with your interests. Engaging with like-minded individuals enhances content discovery and fosters meaningful conversations.
- Leverage your Instagram audience: If you already have a solid following on Instagram, promote your Threads account to reconnect with active followers and expand your reach. The bonus here is that if someone in your Instagram audience is showing up on Threads, you know their Instagram account is still active!
- Collaborate and connect: Don’t hesitate to collaborate with other Threads users. Engaging in conversations, participating in threads, and forming connections can help you reach new audiences and build a vibrant community. And although I am typically opposed to following for the sake of following on any other app, Threads is unique in that you can easily bridge your audience from Instagram; so in this one case, I think it’s worth taking a few seconds to shamelessly connect with the people you’ve already connected.
Conclusion: Threads by Instagram is a user-friendly app that empowers you to have meaningful conversations. With a straightforward download process, a focus on written discussions, and the freedom to express yourself without character limits, Threads offers an engaging platform for authentic interactions. So, go ahead and embark on your Threads journey. Download the app, share your thoughts, and connect with others in a whole new way. Happy Threads-ing!
My Final Thoughts on the Threads App
Threads by Instagram is a user-friendly app that empowers you to have meaningful conversations. With a bridge to Instagram, a focus on fun-not-angry conversations, and a clean UX design, the app is simple and enjoyable to use. I recommend giving it a try yourself, and I say this as someone who really hasn’t stuck around for any of the other Twitter alternatives that have popped up (maybe because Threads has a much different vibe than the Twitter alternatives!).
If you have any questions or thoughts to share, drop a comment below!